A baby and a diaper are synonymous. You certainly can’t have one without the other! Many modern moms are making the decision to step away from disposable diapers for a number of reasons mainly for the sake of the environment and the safety of their baby. So, they embrace cloth diapers. Before deciding which diaper you’d like to use on your little one, read on to learn about some pros and cons of using cloth, like many moms did long ago.
- Cloth diapers are organic.There are no dyes or gels that come in contact with your baby’s skin around their most sensitive areas. This is the biggest reason moms make the switch!
- They are cost effective. On average, a parent who uses cloth diapers will spend about a year on them disposable diapers costs around $2,000 a year to use.
- Your baby is less likely to have diaper rash since cloth diapers need to be changed more frequently.
- In cities, you can utilize a cloth diaper cleaning service which is pricey, but may be worth it for those who can afford it.
- You can purchase pre-folded pieces of cloth to use as a liner. These drop-ins are easy to add in and remove and don’t require immediate scrubbing or even changing the outer cover.
- Cloth diapers are environmentally friendly. It has been reported that almost 28 billion disposable diapers go into landfills each year! It takes 80,000 pounds of plastic and over 200,000 trees a year to manufacture the disposable diapers for American babies alone.
- Cloth diapers are pretty messy you have to wash them out right away if the solids can’t be deposited into the toilet.
- You will do about 3 more loads of laundry a week due to the soiled clothes, which means you’ll have a higher electric bill.
- They are less absorbent, which means you have to change the diaper more.
- They stain. Many moms who use cloth diapers recommend air drying them in the sun to remove the smell and staining.
- You need to carry a wet bag with you at all times since you can’t throw the soiled cloth away
- They are stinky.You can smell a soiled cloth diaper a mile away.
There are many pros and cons of using cloth diapers. Many moms who use cloth diapers strongly feel that the pros outweigh the cons. They feel that the overall peace of mind that they receive when their child wears something that is not hazardous to their body or the environment makes up for the smells, scrubbing, and toting around that occurs with cloth diapers. If you have not yet made a diapering decision, learn more about the pros and cons of each diaper by checking out various baby resources online to help you decide!