Acquired by FLIR Systems of Portland, Oregon in December, 2012 for a reported $60 million, Lorex Technology is an Ontario-based pioneer in DIY video surveillance systems and a purveyor of video surveillance products for security system integrators, including Lorex baby monitors. No doubt FLIR coveted Lorex’s (namely the Lorex and Digimerge brands) distribution network of merchants such as Amazon, Best Buy, Costco and niche wholesalers specializing in large-scale security applications. The acquisition appears to be a good fit for FLIR’s self-described core business of designing, manufacturing and marketing of “sensor systems that enhance perception and awareness,” particularly in thermal technology and imaging.
Lorex Video Baby Monitors
Lorex markets a variety of top shelf video baby monitors that offer next-generation wireless technology with a panoply of features consumers have come to expect from the latest models. They sell «Sense,» «Sweet Peep,» «Starlight» and «Care ‘N Share» Series Video Baby Monitors.
Their newest addition to their product line is the «Care ‘N Share» 4.3-inch Video Baby Monitor with pan/tilt camera and WiFi cradle (model no. BB4325X). It comes with a bevy of features including:
- Portable Handheld LCD Color Monitor. A wider viewer screen than many of its competitors.
- Remote Connectivity Capability. By using the free downloadable app for a PCD or tablet, one can view their child at home from anywhere in the world with a WiFi connection.
- Supports a PTZ (pan/tilt/zoom) Camera with Motion Tracking. Motion tracks a child’s movements so that the camera automatically follows the child across the crib or the nursery.
- Snap ‘n Share Technology. Easily snap still photos of a sleeping child and store images in the computer’s file system for later viewing.
- Sleep & Soothe Sounds. The built-in speaker plays back tranquil sounds from nature that relaxes child while enhancing a sense of calm in baby’s crib.
- Crystal Clear Night Vision. When baby’s nursery is dark, the system provides a “clear-cut” video feed in black and white with infrared LED technology.
- Video On/Off. Turn off video feed and use unit as audio monitor to extended battery life.
- Two-Way Talk. A built-in, high-sensitivity microphone allows parents to soothe baby from across the house or across the world.
- Built-in Nightlight.
- Room Temperature Sensor. Gives quick summary of temprature changes in nursery.
- Four Room/Angles Viewing. By purchasing additional cameras, caregivers can monitor up to four separate spaces simultaneously or position four cameras at different angles in the same room.
- Up to 450 feet (137 meters) Wireless Range. Digital audio and video feeds from across the home and beyond to the surrounding yard.
- Up to Eight Hours of Battery Life.
Lorex Baby Monitor Reviews
Readers shouldn’t be surprised to learn that the Care ‘N Share Model BB4325X receives mostly rhapsodic reviews on the company webpage. What few complaints are to be found include observations that the Lorex overwhelms local WiFi networks with static and interference (e.g., network strength drops from ~16 meg to <1 meg) and has a drastically reduced range after only a short time in service. Many users have discovered that other baby monitors have significantly longer battery life than the eight hours provided by the BB4325X. Others have noted that none of the Lorex cameras have mounting hardware for wall installation. Should the parent conduct a thorough search on competing video baby monitors, it will be discovered that the Lorex baby monitors have a relatively paltry transmission range of 450 feet (137 meters); some competitors have a range twice as far.
Top Ten Reviews considers the Lorex Live Sense Series one of the best available on the market; however, it has a smaller monitor (3.5-inches) and a shorter, four hour battery life compared to the BB4325X. Karina Fabian of Top Ten Reviews is quick to note the short battery life of the Lorex and suggests using the AC charging dock for overnight and long-term monitoring. She also reports that a common complaint of the Live Sense Series monitors is that the sound quality is found lacking, even when the monitor is at full volume.
Besides the minor differences listed above, all the Live Sense Series models seem to share the same basic features and functionality with not only themselves but with the Care ‘N Share Series.The Live Sense Series includes these models:
- LW2401, LW2401F and LW2401PK21B
- LW2451 and LW2451F
Note that some of these models refer to cameras only.
The Sweet Peep Series includes these models:
- BB 2411, BB2411T and BB2415
- LB211 and LB215
This model series is distinguished by the size of the LCD monitor (2.4-inches) and monitor battery life (e.g., 8 hours with video/12 hours audio only mode for BB 2411, BB2411T and LB211; 6 hours with video/10 hours audio only mode for BB2415 and LB215).
Those shoppers who search Lorex on Amazon will find some steep discounts on selected products. For example, the older Care ‘N Share Series BB3525, the Sweet Peek Series BB2411 and the StarBright Series BB7011 are all virtually half off listed retail prices. Speaking of the BB7011, this is also a new addition to the family of Lorex baby monitors and features a whopping 7-inch screen on its monitor. On the debit side, the rechargeable battery lasts for only 1.5 hours, a huge disappointment for those who would otherwise like to have a monitor screen that is perhaps the largest currently available on the market.
Despite these design limitations, Lorex baby monitors nonetheless receive high marks from Amazon and Best Buy customers. Some reviewers deems the Sweet Peek Series as possessing “superior imaging” and favors its comparatively small size of 1 by 5.4 by 3.7 inches (2.54 by 13.72 by 9.4 cm).
When searching through Lorex products, choose from among these features:
- Monitor Size
- Battery Life
- 1.5 hours
- 3 hours
- 4 hours
- 5 hours
- 7 hours
- 8 hours
- Baby Monitor Features
- Built-in Nightlight
- Baby Sound Monitor
- Battery Operated
- Expandable Cameras
- Monitor on Android
- Monitor on iPhone
- Night Vision Video
- Play Lullaby Songs
- Two-Way Talk
Lorex also sells accessories such as extra cameras, AV (audio/video) cables for the Care ‘N Share Series monitor, an accessory stand and rechargeable camera batteries. There are also a number of informative videos on various Lorex baby monitors found on YouTube.
If you have any questions about Lorex baby monitors please contact Baby Monitor 101, we will be happy to assist you.